It’s that time of year again to bid a very fond farewell as we see another cohort of children off to school. It is a time of immense happiness and the obvious tinge of sadness too.
It is such a joy to see them go and be able to reflect and celebrate on all that has been achieved; especially after what the last couple of years has thrown at our children.
Many parents worry about their children being ready for school but what does this really mean? We believe that this is SO much more than phonics and writing. Having spoken to the local primary school teacher they would much rather children can do these things than be able to recognise letters and write their name. Those are things they will be taught in reception. So spend your time focusing on these things through fun play time.
We have put together a list of things that we believe will massively support children to be ready to enter reception. We believe that being ready for school is
- I can use the toilet independently ?
- I can wash and dry my own hands ??
- I can blow my own nose ??
- I can ask for help if I feel unwell ?
- I can put my own coat on and off ?
- I can put my own shoes on and off ?
- I can get change out of my clothes and put different ones on ?
- I can pour my own drinks ?
- I can open my packed lunch box and eat independently ?
- I can use a knife and fork ?
- I can sit at a table when I eat ?
⭐️Social and Emotional⭐️
- I am confident being away from my mummy, daddy or main carer ???
- I am able to express my emotions, thoughts and needs to be met ?
- I am willing to try ?
- I am able to turn take and share ?
- I can interact and play games with others ?
- I try to be a good friend
- I have persistence ??
- I can problem solve ?
⭐️Gross and fine motor skills⭐️
- I have gained good muscle control in my hands ✋?
- I can hold a pen comfortably ✏️
- I have good balance ??♀️
- I am confident within climbing, jumping, and running ?♂️
- I am learning to manage my own risks ⛔️
⭐️Listening and understanding⭐️
- I can follow boundaries and routines ?
- I am able to sit still for a short while and listen?
- I can follow instructions ?
⭐️Literacy and Speaking⭐️
- I am understood when I talk ?
- I am able talk about